United Methodist Women - Western North Carolina ConferenceTurning faith, hope and love into action on behalf of women, children and youth around the world
Countdown to 2017 Spiritual Growth Retreat!
2017 Spiritual Growth Retreat
June 16-17, 2017, Lake Junaluska
Theme: S.M.I.L.E. - See Miracles in Life Everyday
Retreat Leader: Rev. Ashley Thomas, Stokesdale UMC
- Retreat Registration
- Housing Reservations
- Retreat Leader
- Music Leaders
- Retreat Schedule
- Hands On Mission
- Other Information
Online Registration Open February 1, 2017 thru June 11, 2017
- NEW! 2017 SG Retreat Program Book - SMILE (PDF)
- WNCC UMW 2017 Spiritual Growth Retreat Info Sheet. Share it with your friends!
- On-site registration at the retreat - $25.00 per person
- Get a DISCOUNT! Register early and ONLINE! Online advance registration, February 1, 2017 through June 11, 2017 is only $15.00 per person! Use the online registration link shown above.
- Advance registration fees are transferable, but non-refundable. So, if someone registers for the retreat, and is unable to attend, their registration fee is not refundable, but it is ok for someone else to attend in their place.
- Register yourself AND others! Our online registration offers the opportunity for you to register up to 35 guests at the same time that you do your own retreat registration. Help other members of your local unit to register online — especially those who may not use a computer!
- Our online reservations process through Constant Contact uses ProPay or PayPal to securely process payment of the registration fee. Both are secure, widely used processors of online payments. If you choose "Pay with Credit Card" in our online registration, you will be able to enter your credit card information right on our registration system screen, and your card will be processed by ProPay. This option should be very simple and straight forward. If you choose to use PayPal, you will be redirected over to the PayPal website to either use your personal PayPal account, or to process your credit card transaction as a PayPal guest.
Lake Junaluska Housing Reservations:
Reservations for housing at Lake Junaluska must be made separately from our retreat registration. To book Lake Junaluska lodging for the Spiritual Growth Retreat:
- Call the Lake Junaluska reservations department at 1-800-222-4930. Then select 1 for the Reservations Department, and the next available agent will be glad to assist you. The Lake Junaluska reservations team is on duty from 8:00 am until 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
- Reservations can also be made online beginning February 1, 2017 at this link: COMING SOON.
Our group code is 28810108130.
- Housing in Lake facilities fills up very quickly, so make your reservations early. We encourage you if at all possible to stay on the grounds to help support the facilities at Lake Junaluska. If the Lake facilities are full, there are lots of motels near the Assembly grounds, visit the Haywood County Chamber of Commerce or the Maggie Valley Area Visitors Bureau for more information on available accommodations.
Our 2017 Retreat Leader is Rev. Ashley Thomas. Ashley serves as pastor of Stokesdale United Methodist Church in the Northern Piedmont District. Ashley was born and raised in Cashiers, NC; growing up in Cashiers UMC. She is a graduate of UNC-Wilmington (B.A. Psychology 2003), and Duke University Divinity School (M.Div. 2007). Ashley served Duke Hospital (CPE, Pediatric Chaplain) and Davidson United Methodist Church (Associate Pastor of Campus Ministry and Young Adults) prior to her appointment to Stokesdale. She is married to Rev. A.J. Thomas, who is also United Methodist Clergy.
Our music leaders for the 2017 retreat are Joyce Brooks, Song Leader, and musicians Gary Chapin and Matt Stratford. Gary Chapin is the Music Director at Mouzon United Methodist Church in Charlotte, North Carolina. Matt Stratford serves as Contemporary Worship Leader at Mouzon United Methodist Church.
2017 SG Retreat Program Book - SMILE (PDF) - Click to download
Friday, June 16:
- Registration & Program Resources open at 2:00pm
- Session 1: 6:45pm Gathering Praise / 7:00pm Worship
- Immediately following Session 1...In Concert, The Lake Junaluska Singers!
Saturday, June 17:
- Session 2: 8:45am Gathering Praise / 9:00am Worship
- Session 3: 10:15am Gathering Praise / 10:30am Worship
Hands On Mission Opportunity
Our Hands-On Mission Opportunity for the 2017 Spiritual Growth Retreat will be: UMCOR Layette Kits. Many women do not have swaddling clothes with which to welcome their child into the world. Layette kits provide basic supplies for their baby's needs.
Layette Kit Value: $45 per kit
- Registration will open at 2:00pm, downstairs in the auditorium of Harrell Center.
- Check in time at the Lake hotels is 4:00pm. You are encouraged to register before going to your accommodations, especially if you are arriving before 4:00PM.
- Watch for information about Program Resources hours.
- Singing will begin 15 minutes before each session, led by our music team.
- Be sure to bring your Bible, note pad, and pen so that you may study and take notes to help you remember the messages you receive.
- Dress comfortably, wear good walking shoes. Bring a warm sweater and rain gear, just in case the weather is cool or rainy.
- Emergency Telephone Number: The Assembly's switchboard number is 828-452-2881. Please leave this number with your family in case of an emergency.
- If you need Child Care, you may make arrangements in advance by calling Lake Junaluska at 1-828-452-2881.
Lake Junaluska is a beautiful place where you can spend some quiet time in reflection, study, and prayer with your United Methodist Women sisters. We trust that your retreat will be a special time of renewal and spiritual growth. Please be in prayer for the retreats and the retreat leaders.
Other Opportunities for Spiritual Growth and Reflection During Your Stay:
- The Memorial Chapel will be available for personal prayer time.
- The Susanna Wesley Gardens
- The International Prayer Room
- The Junaluska Cross
- Walking by the lake and enjoying the roses.
Bethea Center - Hotel Check In
Have a question? Need more information? Contact Martha Efird, our conference 2017 Mission Coordinator for Spiritual Growth
We all need a break from our busy lives, a time for reflection, a time to listen for God's guidance. We are so busy doing all the things we are called upon to do, we don't often take the time to slow down, to sit back and think about the things that are really important. Join us to pray, to listen, to study, to fellowship with United Methodist Women from across the conference, and to spend some quiet time in reflection.
2017 RETREAT COMMITTEE:Martha Efird, Chairperson; Tonya Lanier, Julia Willis, Nancy Reigel, Jatana Royster, Renee Hayes, Linda Greer, Sibyl Long, Deborah Ray, Lorraine Burns, Darlene Gardner
A retreat is a time to reflect upon your relationship with God. It is a time to be attentive as God speaks to us. The committee has worked hard to plan an inspirational retreat. We anticipate a wonderful time together. We hope you will meet us by the lake in June.