United Methodist Women - Western North Carolina ConferenceTurning faith, hope and love into action on behalf of women, children and youth around the world
Mission u 2018
July 19-22, 2018
Pfeiffer University, Misenheimer, North Carolina
Passionate about mission? Love to learn? Want to engage with others who are? Then Mission u is right for you!
2018 Mission u
July 19-22, 2018, Pfeiffer University Misenheimer Campus
Embracing Wholeness: An Earth Perspective for Covenantal Living
What about our Money?: A Faith Response
Missionary Conferences of the UMC in the United States
- PowerPoint Files - Embracing Wholeness Study
- A Way Forward: UMW Engaging in Conversation
- Mission u Registration
- Youth Camp 2018
- Mission Studies
- Hands On Mission
- School Officers
- Directions to Pfeiffer
Rev. Dr. Patty Meyers PowerPoint files for
Embracing Wholeness: An Earth Perspective for Covenantal Living
Mission u 2018 - July 20, 21 & 22
Embracing Wholeness - Introduction
Embracing Wholeness - Session 1- Sacred Creation
Embracing Wholeness - Session 2 - Sacred Community
Embracing Wholeness - Session 3 - The Sacred Self
Embracing Wholeness - Session 4 - Let's Make it Work!
Thanks to Dr. Meyers for her leadership of our Spiritual Growth Study in the Chapel, and for making her PowerPoint files available! You are welcome to download and use them!
A Way Forward: UMW Engaging in Conversation
Workshops on Friday & Saturday, July 20 & 21, 2018
Ephesians 4:1-6: I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called; one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.
- VIDEO - Remarks on "A Commission on a Way Forward" - Bishop Ken Carter | Annual Conference 2018
- HANDOUT - A Way Forward: UMW Engaging in Conversation - Handout for Mission u 2018 - Handout has links to a variety of resources that are available for United Methodists to be in prayer, be informed, and be in conversation.
- UPDATED HANDOUT August 2018 - A Way Forward for The United Methodist Church - Resources for Further Study
What Every United Methodist Can Do:
- Be in Prayer. Pray for The United Methodist Church, the Council of Bishops, the Commission on a Way Forward, the Commission on General Conference, the work of the General Conference, laity and clergy delegates to General Conference, and the many others providing resourcing & assistance for this work. Pray for our global connection, local congregations, and our clergy & laity members around the world. Join in Praying our Way Forward with other United Methodists around the world using the prayer resources at www.umcprays.org.
- Be informed. Follow the news & information coming out as we move toward General Conference. Use the resources above and others that will be shared over the next eight months. Be informed.
- Join in Holy Conversation. Be a part of conversations in your district, and in your congregation. Use the Healthy Conversations resources available on our conference website. Intentionally find ways to be in holy conversation, listening and sharing in love, with persons with whom you may not agree.
Links to resources:
- Healthy Conversations Resources on our Conference website
- Video: Remarks on "A Commission on a Way Forward" - Bishop Ken Carter | Western North Carolina Annual Conference 2018
- Videos from Commission on a Way Forward
- News updates from Commission on a Way Forward
- Video: Conversation between Alice Williams and Jorge Acevedo (Commission members) at the Florida Annual Conference
- Video: Presentation by Bishop Robert Schnase on the Way Forward at the Rio Texas Conference
- Video: Presentation by Bishop Sue Haupert-Johnson on the Way Forward at the North Georgia Conference
- Ongoing news updates from The United Methodist Church
Mission u Registration:
Registration Opens May 1, 2018 and all registrations must be RECEIVED by July 5th.
- 2018 Mission u Registration Brochure with complete information about registration and housing. Share it with your friends!
- 2018 Mission u Youth Camp Application. Share it with youth at your church!
Who should attend Mission u? Local officers and members of UMW; District and Conference UMW Officers; District Chairpersons of Outreach Ministries; Ministers; All men, women, and youth of the Church; and Anyone who would like to worship God, learn new things, and enjoy the fellowship of Christians.
Registration Fees and other costs: All registrations must be received by July 5th.
- Full Time Resident Students: Resident Double - $160.00 / Resident Single - $175.00 / Resident Single Room in New Hall - $190.00. ($50 of Registration Fee is non-refundable. There will be no refunds without at least 7 days notice.)
- Non-Resident / No Meals: $50.00 (no meals included) (Registration fee is non-refundable)
- Non-Resident / 4 Meals included: $90.00 (Lunch & Dinner included on Friday & Saturday) (Registration fee is non-refundable)
- One Day Overview / No Meals: $30.00 (no meals included) (Registration fee is non-refundable)
- One Day Overview / Lunch included: $40.00 (Lunch included) (Registration fee is non-refundable)
- Full-Time Youth Camp: $150.00 (Housing and meals included) ($50 of Registration fee is non-refundable. There will be no refunds without at least 7 days notice.) Youth Covenant & Consent Forms must be completed and sent in with registration form for Full Time Youth Camp.
Registration Deadline: All students must pre-register (Resident, Non-resident, One Day, and Full Time Youth Camp Participants). See registration brochure (available here on our website). There will be NO on-site registration. All registrations must be RECEIVED by July 5th.
One Day Overview: Spiritual Growth Study OR General Issue Study: Either Friday OR Saturday. Registration time: 8:00 - 8:45am. Session begins: 9:00am. Participants are encouraged to purchase and read the mission study texts before coming to Mission u. A limited number of texts will be available for purchase in the Resource Room.
Location: Pfeiffer University, Misenheimer, NC, 48380 US Hwy 52N, Misenheimer NC 28109
Contact for Questions: Lisa Bacon, Dean, 2018 Mission u
Mission u Full Time Youth Camp:
Leaders: Renee Hayes and Sherry Sink
Click to download: 2018 Mission u Youth Camp Application
This year’s youth camp is limited to 20 participants and will last the full time of Mission u 2018. For youth participants, there are covenant and consent forms that must be completed and accompany the basic registration form. There will be a youth curfew in effect at 11:30 p.m. each evening.
Our mission Studies in 2018 will be:
- Embracing Wholeness; An Earth Perspective for Covenantal Living - More information on United Methodist Women website
- Missionary Conferences of the UMC in the US - More information on United Methodist Women website
- What about our Money?: A Faith Response More information on United Methodist Women website
Hands On Mission Opportunity
Our Hands-On Mission Opportunity for the 2018 Mission u will be: UMCOR School Kits
In some countries, children don't have books or school supplies. Many have no schoolrooms; classes are held in inadequate or half-destroyed buildings, tents, or even the open air. School kits may be these children's only educational resources.
School Kit Value: $11 per kit
Directions to Pfeiffer University:
Pfeiffer University (Misenheimer Campus) is located at 48380 U.S. 52, in Misenheimer, NC, which is South of Salisbury, and North of Richfield and Albemarle. Directions to Pfeiffer University - Google Maps The phone number for Campus Security is (704) 463-3000.
Resident Youth Camp 2018
Each year, United Methodist Women gather at locations all over the United States to learn more about missions and about being in mission. In a United Methodist News Service commentary...Schools of Christian Mission...now MISSION U, were described as some of the very best lay faith education being offered in The United Methodist Church.
In our Western North Carolina Conference Mission u, three courses of study are offered, along with a variety of other opportunities. Return to this site for updates...including information about our studies, our study leaders, and more!
2018 MISSION U COMMITTEE:Lisa Bacon, Dean; Patricia Moore, Assistant Dean; LaDonna Butts, Business Manager; Sandy Letchworth, Housing Manager; Julia Willis, Joanie Strohm, Nancy Reigel, Martha Efird, Renee Hayes, Carolyn Payne, Linda Greer, Dianne Beam, Sibyl Long, Lorraine Burns and Deborah Matthews.
Pfeiffer University - Misenheimer, NC
Pfeiffer University 48380 U.S. Hwy 52 Misenheimer, NC 28109
Mission u Program Books:
Video & PowerPoint Resources: